Monday, November 13, 2006

A picture's worth a thousand words...


Have I told you how much lurrve I feel for these two very Italian creations? They are for sure two of the most important contributions Italians have given the world... sigh ok maybe not. BUT the greatness that is Nutella spread over the yumminess that is the Pandoro.. well it is heaven on my tastebuds and in my tummy.

I have been sick this week with allergies/cold, whatever - sinus hell is what I call it - and made a special trip to the "outside" in search of these specific items. The Pandoro and Panettone are two very traditional Christmas "dolci" that have become very popular here in the States. (as have all things Italian lately) Pandoro is my favorite since I don't really like raisins very much (they are in the Panettone) . I hear there are all different varieties of each but I've yet to see them. Hmmm... what a good reason to spend the holidays in Italy! Anyway, the one pictured above is more of a "Pandorino" because it is small. I was disappointed the powdered sugar wasn't included but I had some in the pantry which worked. Spread Nutella ALLLLL over it and eat. Oh my ... that is heaven. Isn't it cute? Hopefully you can find it in your neck of the woods - if you have a World Market, Central Market or Whole Foods around, chances are they will have it.

That my friends is the highlight of my weekend. sad no? basically I've been blowing my nose and feeling sorry for myself pretty much both days. Also, we've been discussing "future" things alot this weekend which makes me a little depressed. what to do? where to move? sell the house? keep the house? Probably not the best time for serious discussions (being sick and all) but time waits for no man and some things must be discussed. Thankfully, I had my vicks vapor rub, alka seltzer cold/cough, big jar of nutella (with spoon or finger, whichever was closest) and my pandorino. Medicines of the gods =)

More later...


PS - I am so excited about the "Great International City Swap" Shelley is hosting. You have until the 15th to sign up!

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Wish I could sample that - sounds tasty! Will have to keep my eyes peeled for it out here in "No Man's Land". HA! And oh noooo....more deep discussions??? Yikes! Hope it went well =)

Anonymous said...

Oh, the pandoro is small. I thought the Nutella jar was just big.
I just saw a Pannettone in the store made with cranberries. I never even saw a cranberry while I was in Italy. What wii they change next?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good combination! I will have to try it sometime. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Cyn

Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Hi there...
I'm excited about the swap too! Should be fun.
But, how is it possible that we both wrote about Nutella on the very same day? I'm hearing the Twilight Zone theme song...

Texas Espresso said...

K - If I knew they were already selling them I wouldve brought you a couple! just spreading some Italian love...

J. Doe - Who knows! they seem to cram alot of stuff in those panettone. hehe Glad you made is safely back from Italy - hope yall had some fun there!

Cyn - girl I cant believe you havent had that!!! It is so good! and for Christmas you can cut it into layers and make a Christmas tree with chocolate or nutella in between the layers!

Shelley - all I can say is great minds think alike! we are nothing less than geniuses!