Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A DAY IN THE HILLS

As I have shared before, being born and raised in Dallas has given me a great affinity for flat, wide land. My Italian, on the other hand grew up in the Euganean Hills in Italy and living here for 5+ years really made him miss his beloved hills. So, since I am missing him a bit today, I thought I would share with you his beautiful corner of Italy.



If you are ever in the Veneto region of Italy, take a detour to explore the quaint little towns of these hills. There are towns like Abano Terme with its spas of natural hot springs and thermal waters; Arqua Petrarca, home of the famous Italian poet (and one of my favorite towns); Este, home of the famous House of Este and featured in the book I just finished - Leonardo's Swans; and many more. I am mostly familiar with the Padova province but the whole area is full of interesting places to see. The cities are right on the railway so side-"off the beaten path"-trips are easily accessible. Even for a flatlander like me, the Euganean Hills are hard to resist!

More later...

5 comments :

Giulia said...

Hi there! Those are some great photos. I was totally taken back at the way they are displayed, as I have never seen that type of setup before. So cool how they go from top to bottom like that! Looking forward to reading more about you.

Cynthia Rae said...

Loved the photos! Thanks for sharing. Growing up in Indiana, I am a girl from the flat lands. Good for me, where we live is also very flat. I love the hills, but can get car sick from time to time. Lucky for us, the hills are close enough to visit. We can see them from our town.

Cyn

Tracie P. said...

i love the veneto...it is so very different from campania. maybe that's why...

Anonymous said...

The green hills of the veneto region (and all of Northern and central Italy) is very different from the high desert brownish grass we have in New Mexico. Great pictures.

Texas Espresso said...

Giulia - I know! Isnt that cool? I saw that once on Ms. Adventures in Italy's blog. You can download different free ones at goodwidgets.com. =)

Cyndy - I've experienced the car sickness too. Stefano is trying to convince me I will be able to ride my bike up those puppies. They are TALL - jury is still out on that.

Tracie - well, I think you should come visit us when we move. I love the region too. It is really beautiful. I have not ventured down to Southern Italy yet though - cant wait to experience that.

J. Doe - They are very different but you know my husband loves New Mexico. He would move there in a second!