|A non-too-subtle hint of what I|
want for Christmas.
Wow, it is November! I can hardly believe the year has gone by so fast. I’ve been thinking a lot about the holidays lately as this is my first holiday season in Italy. I am very much looking forward to experiencing a full Christmas season with Italians and can’t wait to go to the Christmas Markets that should be starting in the next few weeks!
I love to buy presents. Seriously. I start thinking about gifts sometime in October and obsess about what to get for whom for the next month or so. I really like to give thoughtful gifts that I think my loved ones will really like/use/want. Then I wrap it up in a pretty box with beautiful wrapping paper (I am addicted to pretty wrapping paper, it broke my heart to give it all away before I moved), and pop on a bow. Since I am in Italy this year, I will be shipping my gifts to family back in Texas so I started obsessing much earlier and need to be more organized so everything can get there in time. Fingers crossed.
All that being said, I have started my internet search on this year's cool gifts and thought I’d share a few with you, in case you too are in shopping mood. Without further ado… my picks. (Please feel free to share any suggestions you might have as well!)
|FInnish wool throw|
- Apple Valley Natural Soaps – who doesn’t love pretty soaps and scrubs? This is a family-run small business who uses natural ingredients for their products. I’m a sucker for mom & pop businesses and who doesn’t love to smell good! They can be great stocking stuffers, Secret Santa, or hostess gift.
- Tryst Dusting Silk – Lady Primrose products are not cheap but they are beautifully packaged and smell great! They have a wide variety of bath and body products that help make a bathroom look and smell great. I use the dusting silk (or powder as we call it in my family – we’re not too fancy) and gave both my sister and mom some last Christmas. It was a huge hit, so if you’re looking for something a little special, check out their site.
- Sweet Life Paper – I found this shop on Etsy (who doesn’t love etsy!) and their stationary is so cute! Teacher gifts, note pads, journals, etc. – they can be personalized and are priced reasonably.
- Finnish Throw - This Finnish company is family owned and makes beautiful wool throws and washed linen kitchen towels - among other things. It's a splurge but really well priced for the quality. They are based in Finland but stores sell their products around the world and also offer direct online sales.
- Banderole Pencil Set – come on… these are just fun! The link is for a UK site but the USA site has the pencils as well!
- Bottle Opener – this cool bottle opener would be an awesome gift paired with a bottle of wine!
- USB Key Ring – nice leather and useful. A bit pricey but I’d like it.
- iPad Telephoto Lens – who would’ve thought? And it’s cheap too!
- Macaroon Ear Bud Holder – handy and convenient. Great stocking stuffer.
- Kung Fu Master Flash Drive – for techies of all kinds.
- Alessi Pencil Sharpener – ok, I will admit it. I want this for myself. How cute is a beaver pencil sharpener! It’s a little pricey but the funny factor alone makes it worth it. (It matches this cute paper clip holder too).
- Moleskine Passion Journals – You really can’t go wrong with any Moleskine product but I love the variety of the passion journals. These are great gifts for anyone you know (I have the travel one myself) – and fellow ex-pat blogger Sara Rosso actually contributed to the Dessert journal – how awesome is that?
Chocolates – I have to include my favorite chocolate bars. The Mini
Chocolate Bar Library is delicious as is everything they make. It is pricier
- Whiskey Rocks – no description needed J
- I eight sum pi plates – HAHA. The nerd in me loves these! (also the site has a ton of unique gifts. It’s worth a browse).
- Phaidon City Guides - for someone planning or dreaming of a trip, these guides are beautiful and make a great collection. (sorry if the site comes up in Italian from the link)