Thursday, December 20, 2007

100th post...Christmas Edition

WOW! I can't believe I am on my 100th post :) It's a milestone for this beginning blogger. In honor of this special event, I thought I would share more personal info of the Christmas version.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? wrapping paper, of course. Please see below. There's just something about tape, bows and scissors that just brings out the kid in me. But I also really love CUTE CUTE bags, and specialty wrap items. hehe

2. Real tree or artificial? hmm I really like real trees with the nice smell but feel guilty about cutting one down just for Christmas. Also, its a pain to get rid of after the holiday.

3. When do you put up the tree? in the past? Growing up we always put it up during the long Thanksgiving weekend. Stef and I have mostly carried on that tradition. However, this year, we put it up on 12/15. I wanted to wait for him to get here so we could do it together.

4. When do you take the tree down? After New Year's for good luck. Oh man, I just remembered this year I will have to do it all by myself. curses!

5. Do you like eggnog? Yes - but I don't drink it much. My dad is the only one in my family who likes it (especially with the 'nog' in it) and Stef's never had it so... I was on a big search last season for a good recipe but then got lazy and didn't make it.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? when I was little I LOVED playing with dolls and Barbies. One year, maybe I was 7 or so?, I got FIVE Barbies or Christmas!! PLUS the Barbie dog. hehe I was in heaven. hehe

7. Do you have a Nativity scene? I do. For the past few years, my sisters and I have all gotten a piece of a special Nativity set. Last year, we got the final piece - so this year we are complete!

8. Hardest person to buy for? gosh so many. My mom - definitely. She has everything she needs and gives you ideas like "a new ironing board cover". ugh. My sisters are hard too and don't even get me started on the in-laws.

9. Easiest person to buy for? My nieces/nephews, especially the younger ones. We have trained them young to make wish lists so its a matter picking the one you want to give. It takes a little coordination from the adults but all in all a good system. (One I am happy to say I started as a kid, when I would go through the big book of toys and mark everything I wanted.lol)

10. Worst Christmas Gift you ever received? can this be something from a White Elephant gift party? If so, then the fake dirty diaper I got at a high school club party.lol Other than that, nothing comes to mind. I'm not braggin' or anything but I'm pretty easy to please. hehe

11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. I LOVE expensive Christmas cards, hand addressed and stamped with the cutest USPS stamp I can find. (this year, they suck!) I try to send them out every year but every now and then I get lazy (or broke).

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? White Christmas and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I also like A Christmas Story. hehe

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? By nature I am a procrastinator. combine that with the fact I like to really put thought into the presents I give, usually its mid-December before I get it together. This year I am trying to change that bad behavior (procrastinating) so I started buying last month =) Most of it online - I don't like to shop really. If I can't find it online - I go in knowing what I want, get in, and get out. No panic for me this year!

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? oh yeah

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? FUDGE. TRASH. and so many kinds of cookies, I can't even name them all.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? colored. though honestly, if I really think about it - I like both equally. It depends on the year and my mood. I think clear is very sophisticated and you can see the ornaments a bit better, but colored remind me of my childhood and they are so fun and cheery. Our pre-lit tree has colored but I always add some clear too.

17. Favorite Christmas song? most all Christmas carols. I LOVE to sing carols, I've been singing them at the top of my lungs all week in my car with my favorite Christmas "tape", yes I said tape. Though I also have a perverse affinity for Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas".

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I like to stay home. :)

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? yes, but I have to sing them.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? star, though I like angel ones too.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? morning for sure. As a kid, we got to open 1 on Christmas Eve but everything else on Christmas morning. Christmas morning is my favorite!

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? oh.my.gosh. the CROWDS!! TRAFFIC!! rudeness - where's the Spirit people?

23. What is the "corniest" family tradition you do, or miss doing? decorating the tree while playing our Christmas records. (yes records). Robert Goulet. Burl Ives. Andy Williams. they are oldies but goodies. Now my niece & nephew are enjoying them - the tradition continues. It makes me happy (and if you don't know who those singers are you are too young!)

24. Ugliest Christmas Decoration ever invented? oh gosh where to start. I'm not a huge fan of the big inflatable thingys people put in their yards nowadays. Fun for kids I guess but eh

25. Which looks best, theme trees or homey trees? definitely homey trees. The only theme trees I like are in the mall or in front of public buildings.


So there you go. post 100 baby! 25 Christmas things you need to know about me.

More later...

4 comments :

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Happy 100th! And Happy Holidays too :)

erin said...

happy 100th post!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 100th post! We keep the tree up until the 12th of January. My grandmother called it "little christmas" and it's also epiphany and when la Befana comes around :)

A said...

I just discovered your blog and find it completely charming. Congrats on your 100th post!